Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fishy decisions

After reading through nwestwood's thread over at Aquaponichqtrs.com I decided that trout would be my best choice for my fish tank.  He tried blue gill but they didn't thrive very well.  Next he tried bass and then trout, thinking of the trout only for the cooler months.  However he found that the trout did fairly well right through the summer months.  I initially planned to stock my tank with blue gill, but I found they are difficult to obtain locally and tilapia, which many favor for aquaponics, are illegal to grow without variances and various bureaucratic hassles.  Since I'm not all that fond of tilapia as an eating fish, this is fine with me.  Nwestwood also uses goldfish to control algae in his sump, a good hint.

No comments:

Post a Comment