Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Brrrrrrrrr!

I went to Hawaii earlier this month and while I enjoyed the tropics we had a cold snap in Utah.  I had set up a heater in my greenhouse but it wasn't handling the really cold temperatures.  On the other hand, one of my chickens managed to get out of the coop one night and froze to death.  My son moved the heater from the greenhouse to the chicken coop and suddenly the two chickens left are laying eggs and doing fairly well.  He started using the chimenea to provide heat for the greenhouse but there are laws in Utah County that forbid wood burning on certain winter days when the atmosphere is trapped in the valley, creating an inversion and smog.  We went shopping for a propane heater and it seems to be doing a better job than the electric heater.

No comments:

Post a Comment